Saturday, October 28, 2017

The First Apple Crisp Of The Season

Fall is my favorite season and baking is one of my favorite past times so you put the two of them together and you get a whole lot of goodness.  Since we live in Florida I love bringing the outside in to make it feel like fall so I decorate with fall wreaths, fall leave swags, pumpkins and more.  I usually wait to start my fall baking once the first cool front arrives and that happened last week so I made an Apple Crisp or as my mom and grandmother call it, an Apple Betty.  

I love apple anything but I LOVE apple pie and apple crisp.  In fact, growing up my mom never made me birthday cakes . . she always made me an apple pie.  That's how much I love them!  To me there is nothing more relaxing than baking a pie.  The process of peeling and cutting the apples is so relaxing and takes me back to an older place in time when things  and times were much slower.

This recipe is super simple to make but it's SO GOOD.  Let me know if you ever try it and how you like it.

Emily's Apple Crisp


Ingredients

Pie Filling 
1 Bag of Granny Smith Apples - peeled and sliced (I like mine sliced thin)
2 T orange juice 
1/2 sugar
2 T flour

Crumble Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 cup butter (softened)


Drizzle the 2 T of orange juice over peeled, sliced apples.  This helps to keep the apples from turning brown and gives your apple crisp an added punch of flavor.   Then mix in a small bowl 1/2 cup sugar and 2 T flour. Pour over apples and mix well. Put apple mixture in a pie plate - I love using a stoneware pie plate but any will do. 
In the small bowl mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ginger. Mix well . . then cut in the 1/4 cup of butter. Evenly distribute mixing on top of apple mixture. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pie plate on cookie sheet in the pre-heated oven.  Cover sides of pie with foil or I like to use a pie crust shield and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil or pie shield and bake another 30 minutes. Let it sit for about an hour before eating so the juices thicken.  Under this photo I linked a smilier pie plate plus the pie crust shield.


1 comment:

  1. When you visualize your future self, say..1 year from now..what do you see? Do you see yourself as you are now, or do you see the healthier, slimmer, happier version of you? The you that is more active and engaged in life. The you that feels good in your clothes. The you that feels limitless in your choices and opportunities. What do you see?
    kizi
    free games
    friv game 2019

    ReplyDelete