Thursday, September 14, 2017

Slow Cooker Picante Chicken!


When you go through a hurricane and then lose power you have to be creative in your cooking or you just keep eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches :-)  Many years ago we purchased a generator which has been a God send when we go through hurricanes here in Florida.  If your power goes out really for any reason a generator  is a blessing to have because you can keep running your fridge and use small appliances like a slow cooker, Instant Pot , rice steamertoaster oven  etc.  

Yesterday morning, while we still did not have power I pulled out my slow cooker and hooked it up to the generator.  I then covered the base of the cooker with a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners.  I grabbed a bag of frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in.  I then looked in my pantry to see what kind of salsa or picante sauce we had in stock.  I had mild salsa and a hot picante.  Hmmmm!  Which one should I choose?  I chose the HOT Picante Sauce because I thought we needed a little spice with all the chaos we have had. So, I poured the sauce over the chicken breasts and then put the lid on the cooker.  I turned it on low and cooked it for 6-8 hours.  In the midst of the cooking process we had a miracle . . . . OUR POWER CAME BACK ON!  Thank you Lord!  I ended up unhooking the slow cooker from the generator and plugged it in to an outlet to finish cooking.  

About an hour before we wanted to eat I went ahead and made brown rice to serve under the chicken.  If my power had not come back on I have a rice steamer I could have used but since the power was back on I just made it on the stove.

This dish was SUPER EASY to make and was comfort food in the midst of our chaos.  We enjoyed the meal and if you decide to make this the only big decision you need to make is how HOT or MILD do you want the sauce.  Ours was HOT so if my grandson had been eating over I would have made it mild.  

I'm still praying for all my fellow Floridians, Texans, Georgians, South Carolinans and those and those in the islands who are still without power and in the rebuilding process.  



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found this website, I couldn't discover any type of knowledge on this issue prior to. Also, operate a website as well as if you are ever curious about doing some visitor composing for me if possible feel free to let me understand, I am constantly searching for people to check out my website. kizi game online
    friv 2019
    free online games 2019

    ReplyDelete

  3. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information.

    jogos io 2019
    friv Games play
    a10 games

    ReplyDelete