Sunday, July 9, 2017

Digging Deep Into The Word Sunday - A Look at Psalm 22


This morning in my devotion time with the Lord I read Psalm 22. In this psalm we read of how Jesus gave His life for us and gives us a close look of Calvary and the crucifixion. We get a picture of the cross and can hear the cries of our beautiful, dying Savior. There is no other Scripture that more clearly portrays the crucifixion than Psalm 22. As the Psalm begins you hear the Lord cry out in His darkest moment, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me.?" The chapter closes with the words, "He has done it!" but in the original Hebrew it says, "It is finished!" which was the last cry of Jesus as stated in John 19:30.
Verse 6 tells us of the offense of the cross when Jesus says, "But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people."
Verse 14 speaks of His great perspiring because of the physical torture He was going through. It also indicates the breaking of Jesus' heart. "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax, it has melted within me." In Psalm 69:20 we read why His heart was broken, "Their insults have broken my heart and I am in despair." We really don't hear of many cases where a broken heart caused by intense suffering and agony results in the death of someone but that is exactly what happened to our Lord for He bore the reproach and shame for others. Taking our sins upon Him is what hid Him from HIs Father's face and this is what truly broke His heart. 
Verse 15 describes Jesus intense thirst where He says, "My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth." In John 19:28-30 it says, "knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty," A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it to His lips. When Jesus had tasted it He said, "It is finished!" Then he bowed His head and gave up His spirit." 
When you have time read Psalm 22, Psalm 69 and John 19 to remind yourself of everything Jesus did and poured out for us. All He asks for in return is our love and simple obedience.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you. I just like the helpful information you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more here regularly. I am relatively certain I’ll be informed lots of new stuff proper here! Good luck for the next! friv for school for kids 2019
    kizi jogos
    online games for kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!\
    jogos friv gratis
    Jogos online
    jogos 4 school

    ReplyDelete